Heritage Hall's Markus Wakefield commits to Howard
Heritage Hall lineman Markus Wakefield committed play his college football at Howard University in Washington, D.C., on Monday afternoon on his official visit to the school.
“The first thing was the top level education,” Wakefield said of his commitment. “Then I fell in love with the people.
“I also like coach (Gary) Harrell and the direction they were going with the program.”
Howard, which plays in the NCAA’s Football Championship Subdivision, finished 5-6 last season, its first under Harrell.
Wakefield (6-foot-1, 280 pounds) was a first-team offensive lineman on The Oklahoman‘s 2011 All-State team, but he was key to the Chargers’ success on both sides of the ball.
Heritage Hall coach Andy Bogert said in November that his team, which featured Stanford commit Barry J. Sanders in its backfield, would “probably have trouble running the ball” without Wakefield.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 402At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 378Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 347How to help tornado victims
- 247Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 147Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 93Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes
- 52Social media used to send prayers and condolences to Oklahoma in wake of deadly tornadoes
- 51Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 35High schools: Practices called off long before tornado hit Moore
- 32Expert rips Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation's handling of murder case
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients