Large-school girls basketball power poll: No changes in the top five; Muskogee up to No. 7
Here is the second edition of my large-school girls’ basketball power poll.
Agree? Disagree? Leave a comment or shoot me an e-mail.
1. Edmond Santa Fe (6A, 22-0)
Edmond Santa Fe did nothing to deserve a drop in ranking. The defending 6A champion Wolves’ schedule hasn’t been very tough — their smallest margin of victory this season is 15 — so when they get challenged it will be interesting to see how they respond. But there is no reason to believe Santa Fe would have an off night, and it remains the odds-on favorite to bring home the gold ball again.
Record vs. this poll: 2-0
Last week: No. 1
Next up: Regionals vs. U.S. Grant, Thursday, 8 p.m.
2. Shawnee (5A, 23-0)
The Wolves wrapped up a perfect regular season and are Class 5A’s clear No. 1 team. Big wins this season over Edmond Memorial, Carl Albert and Deer Creek allow Shawnee to edge Midwest City again at No. 2 in this power poll.
Record vs. this poll: 3-0
Last week: No. 2
Next up: Regionals vs. Noble, Thursday, 8 p.m.
3. Midwest City (6A, 23-0)
Midwest City got impressive back-to-back wins over Westmoore and Del City last week. The Bombers are peaking at the right time and are Edmond Santa Fe’s chief competition in Class 6A. No reason at this point to expect anything other than a Santa Fe-Midwest City rematch in the Class 6A tournament championship game.
Record vs. this poll: 3-0
Last week: No. 3
Next up: Regionals vs. Moore, Thursday, 8 p.m.
4. Tulsa East Central (5A, 22-3)
The Cardinals wrapped up their season with an impressive 14-point win at Tulsa Washington. Two of the Cardinals’ losses were to out-of-state teams in a season-opening tourney in Tennessee, and the other came to Jenks on Jan. 20. But East Central has also beaten Jenks this season.
Record vs. this poll: 1-1
Last week: No. 4
Next up: Regionals vs. Tulsa Central, Thursday, 8 p.m.
5. Edmond Memorial (6A, 17-5)
All five of Edmond Memorial’s losses are to teams ranked higher than it in this power poll (Twice to Santa Fe, twice to Midwest City, once to Shawnee). Memorial and Midwest City are lined up for a possible third game in areas.
Record vs. this poll: 1-5
Last week: No. 5
Next up: Regionals vs. Putnam City West, Thursday, 8 p.m.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 25585Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 23461Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7978Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7892Fatal fire: Two arrested in Oklahoma City death of 7-year-old boy
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients