Edmond Santa Fe's Courtney Walker named Gatorade Player of the Year
BY RYAN ABER
As Edmond Santa Fe prepares to open the CLass 6A state tournament Thursday, the Wolves’ Courtney Walker was named the Gatorade Oklahoma Girls Basketball Player of the Year.
Going into Thursday’s state tournament opener against Tulsa Union (2 p.m., Mabee Center), Walker is averaging 17.7 points, 7.1 rebounds, 4.1 steals and 3.6 assists for the 25-0 Wolves.
The Texas A&< signee is currently ranked as the No. 33 recruit in the nation on Hoopgurlz ESPNU 100.
Walker is the first to receive the award from Santa Fe. The award honors not only athletic excellence but character and academic achievement as well. Walker is now a finalist for the Gatorade National Girls Basketball Player of the Year award, which will be announced later this month.
Recent state winners included Ashley Clark (Midwest City), Richa Jackson (Midwest City), Kevi Luper (Adair), Alyssia Brewer (Sapulpa), Angel Goodrich (Sequoyah Tahlequah) and Stephanie McGee (Howe, twice).
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims
- 4195Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4147Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 4123OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients