Scott Raper gets all dressed up for Centennial's championship celebration
To celebrate their repeat as Class 3A boys basketball champions, the Centennial players didn’t want to simply repeat the embarrassment of coach Scott Raper that they enjoyed last year.
They wanted to surpass it.
So rather than shaving their coach’s head, like they did to celebrate last year’s state title, they made him wear a dress — while they shaved his head.
“This is what the kids asked for,” said Raper, who has been Centennial’s head coach since the school opened in 2007. “They did what we asked for, so I wanted to do this for them.”
The Bison were highly ranked all season, but lost during the regional playoffs, which sparked their title run. Raper said it was important for the team to forget about what it accomplished last season and focus on the task ahead.
“We wore our championship rings for about the first four games of the season,” Raper said. “And then I said, ‘That’s it. I don’t want to see another ring. Last year is over with.’”
If the Bison pull off the three-peat next season, what will Raper have to do then?
“I refuse to answer on the grounds that it might incriminate me,” Raper said with a grin, adding that he would donate $250 to the school’s food bank if the team wins a third title.
NOTE: Video of the event will be posted the blog soon as well.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 15391Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9463Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8117Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7214Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6364Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6332Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6331Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5818Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 5611Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5224UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients