Deer Creek's Michael Fulmer chosen by New York Mets with 44th pick
Wow, what a night. Started with the selections of Owasso’s Dylan Bundy and Broken Arrow’s Archie Bradley. Closed it out with Deer Creek ace Michael Fulmer being selected in the compensation round.
Great stuff. For those that don’t know, Bundy was selected with the fourth pick by the Baltimore Orioles. A great fit, obviously, as his brother, Bobby, is also in the Orioles organization.
Good friend and Broken Arrow star only had to wait another15 minutes before his name was called by the Arizona Diamondbacks with the seventh pick.
And then we waited. But not that long. With the 11th pick of the compensation round and 44th overall selection, former New York Mets pitcher Frank Viola made the announcement that the Mets had selected Fulmer.
“I think his work ethic is about as good as I’ve ever seen from a young man,” Deer Creek coach Ron Moore said. “The majority of the scouts that have seen him say he’s 18 years old going on 25-30. He’s extremely mature.
“Whether it’s in the SEC or in rookie or Class A ball, Michael’s going to be ready. We’re all proud of him.”
I’m still waiting to hear back from Fulmer. I ‘guess’ he’s a little busy right now. Fulmer, The Oklahoman’s Big All-City Player of the Year and a first-team All-State selection, was dominant on the mound for the Antlers. He went 10-2 with a 0.72 ERA and 127 strikeouts in 68 innings.
He was a beast this year. He went from being a solid prospect last year to being one of the top pitchers around. He put on a lot of weight and said all it did was add to his leg strength.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 16829OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 15402Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 12656Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 11727Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 9454Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7777Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7628Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7109Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6861Train engineer's vision problems led to deadly Oklahoma wreck, NTSB rules
- 6397Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients