Santa Fe's Conor Costello, Clayton Blackburn almost selected back-to-back
Edmond Santa Fe’s Conor Costello had to interrupt his own celebration for another one. I guess that’s a pretty good reason, right?
Costello was excited about being selected by the Cincinnati Reds with the 505th pick (16th round) of the MLB Draft. By the time he could let it all sink in, another Santa Fe player was selected. Not two minutes later, pitching star Clayton Blackburn was picked by the San Francisco Giants at No. 507.
“This feels so awesome,” Costello said. “I’ve been playing with him the last five years so to get drafted right by him is really cool.”
Blackburn and Costello were two vital cogs of a crazy-talented group of Wolves that reached the 6A state semifinals.
Costello has signed with Arkansas and was a first-team Big All-City selection, while Blackburn was a first-team Big All-City selection and first-team All-State pick by yours truly. Blackburn is headed to Oklahoma.
Blackburn was also involved in one of my favorite moments of the year, an epic pitching duel won by Blackburn in a 1-0 win at Deer Creek against Michael Fulmer.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 39385Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 13186Oklahoma football: New assistant Bill Bedenbaugh discusses state of OU's offensive line
- 12510New OSU CB Tyler Patmon, ex-OU QB Drew Allen among those to benefit from transfer rule
- 11930Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 10305UPDATE: Woman's body found in northwest Oklahoma City, her son arrested
- 7560Oklahoma City Thunder: Hard to tell if Shabazz Muhammad is on OKC's radar
- 7262Oklahoma baseball: Sunny Golloway wasn't Sooners' most beloved coach, but he got results
- 7231Oklahoma State football: Quarterback Wes Lunt transferring to Illinois
- 6637Top 5 regrets of the dying
- 5911Russell Westbrook is off crutches and says he's back
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients