Edmond Santa Fe's Gunnar Nixon named Gatorade's National Boys Track Athlete of the Year
Thursday was quite a day for Edmond Santa Fe’s Gunnar Nixon.
He started by taking the lead in the decathlon through five events at the US Junior National Track Meet in Eugene, Ore., and he closed the night by being named the Gatorade National Boys Track Athlete of the Year.
Earlier in the day, it was announced that Nixon was the state award winner, but he received the national award as part of a surprise reception Thursday following the first day of events at the US Juniors.
“I don’t think we’ll see a high school decathlete like Gunnar Nixon come along for a long time,” said Ray Davis, one of Nixon’s private coaches and head coach of the Arizona Puma Track Club. “He’s not just an athlete excelling while doing decathlon. He’s a pure combined-events guy. I first saw him when he was 10 years old and you knew even then that he had a chance to be special.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17147Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 12600OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11594'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11336Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 9954Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 8356Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 8267Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7063Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 6991Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6984Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients