Edmond Santa Fe's Max McGreevy wins AJGA tournament in Arkansas
Edmond Santa Fe senior-to-be Max McGreevy conquered Class 6A golf at the state tournament in May, and now he’s going national.
McGreevy shot three rounds at even-par or better to earn a six-stroke victory at the American Junior Golf Association’s KPMG Stacy Lewis Junior Open, which concluded Thursday at the Highlands Golf Course at Bella Vista Village in Bella Vista, Ark.
McGreevy opened the 54-hole event with a round of 3-under-par 69, one of only three rounds below 70 recorded in the tournament. He closed out the victory with back-to-back rounds of even-par 72, coming in six shots ahead of Jenks’ Brendon Jelley and Anthony Murdaca of West Hindmarsh, Australia. Players from Arkansas, Tennessee, Kansas, Missouri, Georgia, Mississippi and Nebraska placed in the top 12 of the event.
McGreevy said his consistency off the tee was the key to his victory.
“There were a lot of tough driving holes this week,” McGreevy said. “A lot of times, you had to be in the fairway in order to be aggressive towards the pin. My tee shots this week really helped me out.
“(The win) means a ton. I’ve had a lot of success the last couple months, but this definitely caps it off.”
In the girls tournament, Oktaha senior-to-be Kailey Campbell was the top finisher from Oklahoma with a three-round total of 230, which was 14 shots behind winner Cheyenne Knight of The Woodlands, Texas.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 3510College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3369George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
- 3261Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients