Former Edmond Santa Fe standout Gunnar Nixon takes World Junior championship
BY RYAN ABER
Former Edmond Santa Fe standout Gunnar Nixon needed a big-time performance in the final event of the decathlon at the IAAF World Junior Championships in Barcelona.
Nixon entered the 1,500-meter run needing to beat Australia’s Jake Stein by 14 seconds to win.
Nixon did, turning in a personal best 4:22.36, nearly 24 seconds ahead of Stein, to set an American junior record with 8,018 points and win the championship.
Stein jumped ahead of Nixon, a sophomore-to-be at Arkansas, in the next-to-last event, the javelin, before Nixon pulled off the win in the final event.
Nixon’s gold was the first of the event for Team USA.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients