Norman hires Tecumseh's Matt Thornton as hoops coach; Norman North finds new AD
Norman Public Schools has raided Pottawatomie County to fill a couple of athletic vacancies — the Norman boys basketball spot and the Norman North athletic director job. Here’s the news from Norman:
Tecumseh’s Thornton hired as Norman basketball coach
Matt Thornton’s basketball coaching career is taking a trip along Highway 9.
The Tecumseh boys coach was hired by Norman this week, filling the void created when Jeff McCullough left after two years to return to Texas.
Thornton has been a head coach for five seasons at Tecumseh, reaching the state semifinals in 2011.
Thornton is originally from Moore, and worked as an assistant coach at Westmoore prior to becoming a head coach.
Tecumseh might not be a place you immediately think about for producing top-notch basketball coaches, but the school has turned out some good ones in the recent past.
Jenks’ Clay Martin was a head coach there, as was Del City’s Tim Stogsdill. In addition, Plainview head man Jeremy Stewart was an assistant for the Savages, as was former Edmond Santa Fe coach Shawn Schenk. Now, Thornton adds his name to the list after a successful five-year stint in T-Town.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients