Kyle Lewis remembered at All-State golf
It was a very real moment seeing Marty and Kelly Lewis sitting in the clubhouse at Cherokee Hills Golf Club Monday afternoon following the All-State golf tournament.
I remember quite vividly interviewing Kyle Lewis after last year’s All-State tournament, asking him about his round and his future on the OU golf team. And then, less than three hours later, I got a phone call that he had died in a car accident driving home from Tulsa.
His parents were in attendance Monday to award the Oklahoma Golf Coaches Association’s inaugural Kyle Lewis Memorial Scholarship.
The Oklahoma Golf Coaches Association gave out the scholarship following Monday’s tournament. Ardmore’s Seth Morgan was the recipient.
“It was an honor that they picked me for this scholarship,” Morgan said. “I knew Kyle a little bit. Ran into him at a few tournaments, but that was about it. I’m just honored that they gave me this scholarship.”
Morgan plans to attend Murray State College in the fall.
Marty Lewis encouraged the players to enjoy moments like Monday’s All-State tournament.
“You guys and gals who had your mom or dad haul you all over heck and half of Georgia to play golf, remember how special that time is,” Lewis told the crowd. “It was certainly special to our family.”
In the past, the coaches’ scholarship was $250, but they have decided to work to increase the amount of the funds.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 100558Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15302OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13338Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8709Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8075Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8036How to help tornado victims
- 7986Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6703Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6459Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 5978Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients