Edmond Memorial coach Justin Merideth: Lines will be key to success
Edmond Memorial only returns a handful of starters from last year’s team, but coach Justin Merideth is comfortable with his skill position players. He said the key units for success in 2011 will be the offensive and defensive lines.
“Those are the two areas we have to get good play out of,” Merideth said. “We’re athletic at the skill positions. If we can get good play out of our lines, we’ll be pretty excited.”
Merideth said the lines are split about half and half between juniors and seniors, which gives him some confidence, but that they don’t have much playing experience.
“They’re mature; they know what it takes, but they’re inexperienced,” Merideth said. “Talent isn’t a problem on the offensive and defensive lines; it’s just experience.”
One lineman back with plenty of experience is senior right guard John Scheihing, a two year starter who stands at 6-foot-3 and weighs 270 pounds. He is the only returning starter on the Bulldog offensive line.
“Up front is a big key, Scheihing said, “but I think we have a bunch of good young guys.”
The starters on the offensive line are pretty well established with the exception of center.
Senior Steven Scheef will start at RT, Scheihing at RG, senior Mac Wilsey at LG and junior Lucas Gerdes at LT. Senior Will King, junior Ben Cerra and sophomore Mason Hall are competing to be the Bulldogs’ center.
Scheihing said he is still working to get in rhythm with his new linemates, but that they are close.
“We’re trying to know what the other person is doing before he does it, and just get in a rhythm,” Scheihing said. “We’re close to having it down, because through spring ball we really took a lot of big steps.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 97533Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 13957Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9425Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8660Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 8311OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 7700How to help tornado victims
- 7421Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 6598Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 6130Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 6065Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients