Mustang golfer June Tigert shoots 61
Mustang senior June Tigert shot a 9-under-par 61 Sunday in a runaway victory of the Oklahoma Junior Golf Tour Trosper Challenge at Trosper Park.
Tigert, The Oklahoman’s All-City Girls Golfer of the Year last spring, carded eight birdies, one eagle and one bogey in the final round to win the tournament by 11 strokes.
“I just felt good. I was hitting good shots, making putts — just giving myself a chance,” Tigert said. “It was tons of fun, and it was even better, because I was playing with all my friends and they were all supporting me.”
Her 61 came one day after she recorded her career best score of 66 in the first round of the Trosper Challenge. For the 36-hole tournament, Tigert had 12 birdies, one eagle and one bogey to finish at 13-under-par 127.
Tigert shot 28 on the front nine Sunday, including three birdies and an eagle on holes 6-9.
“I try not to think about my score during the round and just wait until the end,” Tigert said. “I had no idea I could do that until I actually did it.”
Edmond North’s Allison Sell, the first-day leader after shooting 65, finished second at 2-under 138.
– Scott Wright, email@example.com
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24939Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 15605Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 9621UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 8603Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 7447Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6907Tom Ward out as SandRidge CEO
- 6484Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6322OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 6156Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 5797Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients