Southmoore's Drew Nickell out for the season
BY RYAN ABER
Southmoore senior lineman Drew Nickell will miss the season after suffering fractures in his left leg and ankle in Friday’s scrimmage against Edmond North.
The injury will require surgery.
SaberCats coach Jeff Brickman said the team would wear helmet stickers in Nickell’s honor this year.
“We don’t have a whole lot of guys that play both ways but he’s one of them because of the work ethic that he brings every day,” Brickman said. “He’s the guy all summer that’s been there and the kids respect him so much because of what he does.”
Brickman said Nickell was as positive as possible following the news.
“He’s never down,” Brickman said. “He’s always an upbeat type of kid. He just said these things happen.”
The loss will affect Southmoore much more on the offensive side, where Nickell played full time.
Senior Jake Spradling, who was at left guard, will move to right tackle to take Nickell’s spot, while junior Dakota Haynes will step into Spradling’s spot at left guard.
“We shouldn’t have that big of a drop-off there but we’ve got to hope no one else gets hurt,” Brickman said. “He felt pretty good about Haynes as a backup on the offensive line but there’s a bit of a drop-off after that.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients