Who coached Lone Wolf? Now we know
BY RYAN ABER
Yesterday I asked the question: Who coached Lone Wolf to the 1944 Class C title?
Our archives had provided plenty of answers as I researched football coaches since what is now known as the Oklahoma Secondary Schools Activities Association started sanctioning football playoffs in 1944.
They didn’t though, offer an answer to who coached Lone Wolf to that title against Medford.
So I posted a call to the readers for help.
A few hours later, I received this e-mail from Matt Tyson:
I believe I have the answer to your question from twitter and your blog. Bill Branum was the coach at Lone Wolf in 1944. My grandfather, Lee Tyson, was a player on that team. He saved an ashtray that they gave all of the players after the season. It listed the players and coaches names. I hope this helps you out.
I had suspected the answer might be Branum, as he was listed as having coached the Coyotes in the years around the championship. But I didn’t want to assume anything. Matt provided the confirmation. Thanks again, Matt.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 21842Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 19892Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7892Fatal fire: Two arrested in Oklahoma City death of 7-year-old boy
- 7794Oklahoma storms: 2 Shawnee men victims of deadly tornado
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients