Report: Charlie Cooper resigns as Tahlequah football coach
Charlie Cooper resigned Monday as Tahlequah’s football coach and athletic director, the Tahlequah Daily Press reported.
Cooper, the winningest coach in program history, cited health issues as his reason for stepping down.
“I told them (district administration) when I got into this, I’d had some issues with my back,” Cooper who has a career 97-67 record, told the newspaper. “And in order for me to function on game nights, I have to take some pain pills. And I’m not going to spend my life on pain pills.”
Defensive coordinator Brad Gilbert will take over on an interim basis.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10625Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9988Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9782Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6778Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4215Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4087Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 3968Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3762Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 3633OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients