Bethany to honor 1961 team
As part of its homecoming festivities at Friday night’s game against John Marshall, Bethany will celebrate the 50th anniversary of its 1961 football team.
Led by twin brothers Jimmy and Jerry Gilbert in the backfield, and John Kendall at tackle — all selected to The Oklahoman’s Little All-City Team that year — the Bronchos went 7-3, including losses to Choctaw, which went on to play for the state title.
Former Oklahoman writer Lynn Garnand was also a senior on the team. He was later inducted into the Oklahoma Coaches Association and National High School Coaches Association Hall of Fames after a long career as a sportswriter.
The game is set to kick off at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Bethany/Southern Nazarene Stadium.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14189Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 12474Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 11484OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9977Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8873Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 7409Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 7240Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 5050Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4865Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 4264'Hatchet hitchhiker' arrested after attorney found dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients