Emptying my notebook from Edmond Memorial's win over Moore
Emptying my notebook from Edmond Memorial’s 13-10 win over Moore on Thursday at Wantland Stadium in Edmond.
* Edmond Memorial is now on a two-game winning streak after starting the season 0-3. The Bulldogs tried to go to a more pass-oriented offense early in the season, but they’ve returned to focusing on the run and it’s working.
* Senior running back Gavin Fouts, who rushed for 135 yards and a touchdown — and was really responsible for turning the momentum with an 86-yard run in the third quarter — said the Bulldogs are finally leaving it all on the field.
“The thing is, our boys just needed to get it in their heads to go hit somebody,” he said. “We were sitting back on our heels playing the pass game, and it really works to our advantage to take the punch to the defense. It’s working out great.”
* The win streak has Edmond Memorial gaining lots of confidence.
“I always believed in my team,” Fouts said. “I knew they had it; we just had to bring out the passion. I’m glad to see it finally come out, and hopefully we’ll continue to build on that.”
* Bulldogs coach Justin Meredith is quick to point out, though, that his team still has a long way to go. For example, Memorial was penalized 10 times for 85 yards.
“I think it’s pretty obvious that if we don’t quit making bone-headed mistakes that anybody can beat us, and we’re not gonna be very good,” Meredith said.
“We just can’t do those things. If they’re better than us, and they beat us, then so be it. But we can’t beat ourselves.”
* You have to give Moore tons of credit. The Lions just snapped a 24-game losing streak last week with a win over Choctaw, but they play as hard as any team I’ve seen this year.
And some teams might quit down 13-3 late in the fourth quarter, but not Scott Myers’ team.
You can see some of Myers’ attitude in his team — never quit, keep working, play hard. It’s that inspiring attitude Myers shows every day in his struggle with cancer.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients