Stillwater's Jesse Vester: 'I'm for sure playing'
STILLWATER — Stillwater’s Jesse Vester, one of the top athletes in Class 6A, will play in Friday’s showdown with Tulsa Union, he said Thursday.
Vester sat out last week’s 55-41 win over Bartlesville with a shoulder injury, and coach Tucker Barnard told the Tulsa World that Vester will suit up and be a gametime decision.
But Vester insisted that he is playing in the game at Pioneer Stadium that will decide the District 6A-4 championship.
“I’m for sure playing,” Vester said.
Vester said he suffered the injury in his team’s 52-28 win on Oct. 20 against Enid.
“The coaches thought it was best for me to sit (against Bartlesville),” Vester said. “So that’s what I did.”
Stillwater (8-1) and Tulsa Union (8-1) are playing in what Vester called “probably the biggest game any of us have ever played in our lives.”
If Stillwater wins, it clinches the district championship and could host two playoff games. Tulsa Union finishes third with a loss.
If Union wins, it will win the title and Stillwater likely will drop to third place, forcing the Pioneers on the road for the first round of the playoffs.
“This game is even bigger than sixth grade, when we were playing for the league championship,” Vester said with a laugh.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 22062Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13856Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 11034Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 10900UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7641Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
- 7472Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6309Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 5703Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 5621Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 5179Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients