Edmond Santa Fe practice report: Wolves prepping for athletic Lawton Eisenhower
EDMOND — I visited Edmond Santa Fe’s practice today, where the Wolves are prepping for a first-round showdown with Lawton Eisenhower at Wantland Stadium on Friday.
Edmond Santa Fe won District 6A-2, and Lawton Eisenhower finished fourth in 6A-1.
Although Eisenhower (4-6, 3-4 in District 6A-1) has struggled this season, coach Lance Manning said they are athletic and dangerous.
Quarterback Adrian McDonald, who has some NCAA Division I offers, is dangerous as a runner and a passer.
“They’re athetic; they run that gun option,” Manning said. “They’re scary. You’ve gotta be in position defensively or they will big-play you.”
Eisenhower is the first option team that Santa Fe has faced this year since Week 1, when the Wolves bested rival Edmond Memorial. But Eisenhower’s style of option is different; they run a veer option offense.
“It’s just a different thing to prepare for,” Manning said.
For his part, senior defensive end Michael Onuoha doesn’t seem too concerned.
“We’ve come across a lot of athletes, and we’ve been able to stop them,” Onuoha said.
It’s true. The Wolves’ schedule featured lots of fast, athletic teams like Putnam City, Edmond North and Lawton.
And Santa Fe (9-1, 7-0) is pretty athletic itself. The Wolves’ only loss this season is in nondistrict play to No. 1 Midwest City.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 28347Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 17448Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7187OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5906Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5536OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4738Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3702Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3694Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3367Four burning questions - Was the Thunder's season a failure?
- 3246Oklahoma City Thunder: The time has come for OKC's young players
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients