Del City assistant Zack Smith hired as Chandler's football coach
BY RYAN ABER
Zack Smith, who spent the last nine years as an assistant coach at Del City, is the new football coach at Chandler.
“I appreciate the opportunity,” Smith said. “I think it’s a good move for me right now in my career. It’s definitely going to be a change of pace though.”
Smith succeeds Scott Myers in the position.
Myers died in November at age 45 after a two-year battle with cancer.
The Lions were 5-5 last season, nearly making the playoffs in District 3A-2.
“I’m really excited to keep going on with what Scott put forward and keep this program moving in the right direction,” Smith said. “I’ve been up there a lot in the last few weeks, trying to build relationships with the players and their parents. The kids we have coming back really liked coach Myers and hopefully I can build on the good things he was doing here.”
He helped coach the Eagles defense. Del City went 9-2 this season, winning District 5A-1.
Prior to his time at Del City, Smith spent a year at Pottsboro, Texas, after finishing his playing career at Southeastern Oklahoma State.
Smith is originally from Boyd, Texas.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients