McGuinness WR Cody Chancellor to walk on at OU
The recruiting process dragged out a little longer than usual for McGuinness receiver Cody Chancellor, but a week after national signing day, he found his destination.
Chancellor, 6-foot-3, 165 pounds, will head to Oklahoma as a preferred walk-on, McGuinness coach Justin Jones said Wednesday.
Chancellor turned down an opportunity at Ohio, which was offering a scholarship starting in January 2014. And he was being recruited by a variety of other schools, including some in the Ivy League.
Oklahoma State was also pursuing him, and came close to offering him after receiver Fred Ross of Tyler, Texas, flipped his commitment the night before signing day.
A long-time OU fan, Chancellor settled on the Sooners. An Oklahoman All-State selection, he finished the year with 1,397 yards and 21 touchdowns on 61 catches in helping the Irish to the Class 5A semifinals.
He made a big splash in Week 5 when he had 359 receiving yards and four touchdowns on six catches in a 42-32 win over Carl Albert, all while wearing a half-cast to protect his broken left hand.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 75968Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 30909Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 28067Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 24729Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 6906Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 6904Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 6686Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond
- 6314Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday
- 6228Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5710Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients