Three Points and a Pick: Douglass at Tulsa Washington
In case you missed it, here’s my story from Friday’s paper about the renewing of the Douglass-Tulsa Washington football rivalry. It’s been awhile since I had that much fun doing interviews for a story. Talking to guys like Stanford White, C.T. Wells and others was a blast.
Now to the game.
1. No Re-Ward. My prediction, based solely on my knowledge of OSSAA rules, not any type of inside information, is that D.J. Ward will be back at Douglass before the season ends, but he won’t be there with the team tonight. Willis Alexander isn’t the type of coach to look at something as a negative. He always finds the positive in a situation. So he isn’t worrying about Ward’s absence at defensive end and tight end. But it will make a difference. Johnny Jones likely moves back to DE, though he had impressed the team at linebacker in the preseason.
2. Highlighting Clark. Washington can pay a little closer attention to Deondre Clark at the other end now, without Ward, which will make life a little tougher for him. But he’s still an incredibly gifted player who had double-digit sacks without Ward last year. Of course, he didn’t have to face many Class 6A-level offensive lines. Clark moved to fullback on offense, but the team probably needs him more at tight end now to fill Ward’s void. But did the Trojans have enough time to make that shift in practice with just a couple days to work on it? Possibly. Clark knows the TE position, and Terry Harris was already playing a lot of fullback.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 33223Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15512Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9978Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9860Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9472Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8063Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8003Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7387Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 6419Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6218UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients