Three Points and a Pick: Stillwater at Mustang
Can Mustang stop the state’s biggest surprise team?
That’s the question everyone wants to know, right after they ask how Stillwater got so good. Let’s discuss.
1. Keeping it up. Is Stillwater for real, or is this just a super-hot start before they come back to earth? Considering the expectations for the Pioneers before the season, their blowout win over McAlester and upset of Midwest City have been a couple of the season’s biggest shockers so far, especially considering the amount of firepower this team lost from last year’s squad. But Tucker Barnard has proven that he’s a good coach. Remember, Stillwater went 8-3 under Barnard last year with all the same kids who went 1-9 without him the year before. So it seems fair to assume Stillwater is better than most of us expected, but just how good are they? That’s still unanswered.
2. Deeeee-Fense. Stillwater’s playing pretty darn well on that side of the ball, holding McAlester and Midwest City to 18 points apiece. And Mustang is coming off a shutout of Putnam City North, so the Broncos ain’t too shabby over there either. But both teams have shown they’re capable of posting big offensive numbers, too. So it’s likely to come down to big defensive plays. Whoever makes the most should win.
3. Weather or not. Trying to predict Friday night’s weather is like… well, it’s like trying to be a weatherman in Oklahoma any other day (except July, when you only have to guess how many degrees over 100 the temperature will be). Friday night should be cold, it might be wet, and there’ll probably be a little wind. Just how much of each of the three we get will impact the game, and take some of the finesse out of both offenses. Adjusting to the conditions will be an instant advantage.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21228Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 17109OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 15263Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 8685Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 8584Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 8393Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 7909Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7026Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6028Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 5208Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients