Phil Ingersoll files age discrimination suit against OKCPS
Oklahoma Coaches Association Hall of Fame basketball coach Phil Ingersoll has filed an age discrimination suit with the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission against Oklahoma City Public Schools.
The suit is in regard to Ingersoll accepting an offer to become the basketball coach at Douglass High School in June, then having the offer rescinded less than a week later.
In paperwork filed Oct. 5 with the EEOC, Ingersoll, age 59, says he met with OKCPS Superintendent Karl Springer in June to inquire about the reason for the offer being rescinded and Springer told him it was due to the “‘totality of our relationship,’ which he declined to elaborate on. No reason was given for hiring a younger, less experienced person for the job.”
Ingersoll told The Oklahoman Tuesday that “my attorney and I did not feel that was an adequate explanation.”
Anthony Andrews, 49, was hired in July as the Douglass coach. Previously, he was the head coach at the Girls Preparatory School in Chattanooga, Tenn., and he coached travel teams on the summer circuit. He most recently had worked as an assistant coach at Newcastle.
“As of (Tuesday), the Oklahoma City Public School District administration has not been served with a lawsuit from Phil Ingersoll alleging discrimination,” Springer said.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14439Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9547Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7937Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7761Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6962Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6428Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6287Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 5083Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5032Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 4602UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients