Yukon nearing fourth straight playoff berth
Yukon coach Todd Wilson has always desired to build the Millers into a regular playoff team. Heading into Friday’s home game against U.S. Grant, Yukon needs just one win to lock up a postseason berth for the fourth straight year under Wilson — a significant achievement for the program.
Yukon went to the playoffs three straight years from 1996-98, including a state runner-up finish in 1997. But the team hasn’t been to four straight postseasons in more than 40 years, the last such stretch coming under coach Rene Huckaba in 1966-69.
The Millers are coming off last week’s win over Midwest City, the team’s first defeat of the Bombers since 1997.
After starting 1-5, Yukon has revived its season with a balanced offensive attack. Running back A.J. West has rushed for 1,112 yards and 11 touchdowns on 150 carries, and quarterback Hayden Somerville is nearing the 2,000-yard passing mark. Receiver Codey Sanchez has been one of the top receivers in the state this season with 944 yards and 10 TDs on the season with an average of 17.5 yards per catch.
The Millers host U.S. Grant this week, and close the regular season at Putnam City North, which could be a battle for the third seed in District 6A-3.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 39385Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 13186Oklahoma football: New assistant Bill Bedenbaugh discusses state of OU's offensive line
- 12510New OSU CB Tyler Patmon, ex-OU QB Drew Allen among those to benefit from transfer rule
- 11930Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 10305UPDATE: Woman's body found in northwest Oklahoma City, her son arrested
- 7560Oklahoma City Thunder: Hard to tell if Shabazz Muhammad is on OKC's radar
- 7262Oklahoma baseball: Sunny Golloway wasn't Sooners' most beloved coach, but he got results
- 7231Oklahoma State football: Quarterback Wes Lunt transferring to Illinois
- 6637Top 5 regrets of the dying
- 5911Russell Westbrook is off crutches and says he's back
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients