Millwood defense preparing for the Davis 'bone
It’s a different type of practice week at Millwood.
The spread offense might be — for lack of a better term — spreading throughout the state, but it hasn’t reached Davis yet, where coach Jody Weber’s Wolves are still running the wishbone to perfection.
So as Millwood prepares for its second-round Class 2A playoff game at Davis Friday night, its players are talking about assignments and toughness, two key components to containing the ‘bone.
“We’ve been playing a lot of teams that have been passing a lot, but I like this kind of game,” Millwood junior linebacker Larry Lambeth said. “I like games that are physical. We’ve just got to have everyone do their one job, stay on their assignment, so the man behind you can do his job.
“If you get greedy, that’s when they beat you.”
Millwood went to Davis in last year’s second round as well, coming away with a 20-7 win. While that game provided good experience for the young Falcons, they know they can’t expect this year to be easier.
“We know since we won last year, they’ll be twice as hungry and twice as eager to beat us,” junior defensive back Cameron Batson said. “So we’ve got to be twice as hungry and twice as eager also. But if we prepare like we should, I think we can go out and do it.”
The toughness aspect is a quality the Falcons especially want to show. Regarded as a fast defense, they want everyone to know they can play physical football, too.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11190Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11015Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9873Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8372Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4481Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4243Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4027OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3513Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3480How to help tornado victims
- 3393Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients