Fans pick Frederick's Cotten as Player of the Week
After his performance to get Frederick to the Class 2A semifinals, Blake Cotten was voted by the fans as the NewsOK Varsity Football Player of the Week by a narrow margin.
The backup QB threw for 331 yards and five touchdowns in a 42-0 win over Commerce.
Including online and phone voting, Cotten received just 70 more votes than Anadarko running back R.J. Sink.
Here are the final results:
Blake Cotton, Frederick: 1,045 votes
R.J. Sink, Anadarko: 975 votes
Steven Thompson, Carl Albert: 524 votes
Jackson Dillon, Ringling: 423 votes
Doc Harvey, Seminole: 385 votes
Peyton Gavras, Norman North: 140 votes
Brock Lamle, Blanchard: 126 votes
Deaundre’ Carr, Davis: 114 votes
Ty Reasnor, Cashion: 109 votes
Stanvon Taylor, Tulsa East Central: 15 votes
Total: 3,856 votes
The original blog post and online voting results are below.
This week, the NewsOK Varsity Football Player of the Week fan poll goes statewide.
And this week, we’ll give 10 players a shot at the honor.
The fan poll is live, so you can vote now by clicking your choice below. Voting ends at 4 p.m. Wednesday and the results of the poll will appear in Thursday’s Oklahoman.
Here are the candidates:
Deaundre’ Carr, Davis: Rushed for 191 yards and two TDs on 17 carries as Davis knocked off Adair in the 2A quarterfinals.
Blake Cotten, Frederick: The backup QB threw for 331 yards and five TDs in a 2A quarterfinal win.
Jackson Dillon, Ringling: Rushed for 155 yards on 18 carries and added 66 receiving yards on two grabs with three TDs to knock off defending Class A champ Wayne.
Peyton Gavras, Norman North: Threw for 395 yards and five TDs to get the Timberwolves into the Class 6A title game.
Doc Harvey, Seminole: Rushed for two TDs, threw for two more and added a pair of two-point conversions in a 34-28 semifinal win over Metro Christian.
Brock Lamle, Blanchard: Guided the Lions to the 3A semifinals for the first time since 1979 with 226 yards passing and three total TDs.
Ty Reasnor, Cashion: Passed for 297 yards and two TDs to get the Wildcats into the Class A semifinals.
R.J. Sink, Anadarko: Powered his way to three touchdowns as the Warriors knocked off defending 4A champion Wagoner.
Stanvon Taylor, Tulsa East Central: The Oklahoma commit scored three TDs, including a game-clinching 57-yard run to put the Cardinals in the 5A finals.
Steven Thompson, Carl Albert: The two-time defending winner of this poll rushed for 200 yards and threw for 108 with five total TDs, and picked off a game-clinching pass in the Titans’ semifinal win over McGuinness.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11641Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11150Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7793Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7658Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4653Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4189OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3570Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 3548Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3510Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3477How to help tornado victims
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients