On the half-hour special “Nick News with Linda Ellerbee: My Big Fat Failure,” premiering at 8 p.m., Sunday, Feb. 26, on Nickelodeon, celebrities and children talk about their failures and how they overcome them.
Tina Fey, Brian Williams, Richard Branson, Wendy Williams, Russell Simmons, George Lopez, Julie Bowen, Nick Cannon, Melissa Joan Hart, Wally Amos, Jimmie Johnson, author Rick Riordan, snowboarder Kelly Clark and YouTube creator Chad Hurley discuss on the program how they turned down to up, according to a news release.
Some of the celebrity quotes on failure, provided by Nickelodeon, are as follows:
- “I don’t know anyone who hasn’t failed,” says NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams. “I don’t want to know anyone who hasn’t failed.”
- “I was hopeless in school,” says billionaire businessman Richard Branson. “It was all mumbo-jumbo to me.”
- “I wanted to be a comedian since I was 11 years old,” says George Lopez. “But when the time came to do it, I’m not sure that I had ever been that nervous, that afraid.”
- “Failure is an event, not a person,” says Linda Ellerbee. “You may fail, but YOU’RE not a failure. As for fear of failure, you can be very, very afraid… and still succeed. I have.”
- “You have to keep going,” says hip-hop multi-millionaire Russell Simmons. “You stay on your hustle. And you don’t quit.”
- “When I started running cross-country and track in high school literally every race was a failure…” says Chad Hurley. “Running helped me learn how to deal with failure and failure is a is a big part of the internet business…but you need to get it out there before anyone else catches on to what you’re doing. And that’s how we started YouTube.”
To view a clip of Brian Williams from the show, click here.
To view a clip of Tina Fey from the show, click here.
(Photo credit: Martin Toub/Lucky Duck Productions)
Follow me on Twitter: @MelissaHayer