“God Is the Bigger Elvis”: Academy Award-nominated documentary premieres April 5 on HBO
The Best Documentary Short Academy Award nominee “God Is the Bigger Elvis” premieres at 7 p.m., Thursday, April 5 on HBO and centers on late ’50s/ early ’60s Hollywood starlet Dolores Hart and her decision to give up her acting career to become a Benedictine nun.
Hart, now Mother Prioress of the Abbey of Regina Laudis, was plucked from obscurity to play Elvis Presley’s love interest in 1957′s “Loving You,” and immediately fell for the 19-year-old star after receiving her first on-screen kiss from him, according to a news release.
Hart also appeared in movies with such famous actors as Montgomery Clift and Anthony Quinn, and became engaged to architect Don Robinson, but then made the choice to join the Abbey of Regina Laudis in Bethlehem, Conn. to become a cloistered Benedictine nun.
She had visited the Abbey at a friend’s suggestion in 1959 to reenergize after her Broadway role in “The Pleasure of His Company,” but, after returning to Hollywood, the Abbey didn’t leave her mind.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6720Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6515Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 5990Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients