“Firelight”: Hallmark Hall of Fame movie subtle, uplifting
The inspiring Hallmark Hall of Fame movie “Firelight,” starring Academy Award winner Cuba Gooding Jr., premieres, at 8 p.m., Sunday, April 22, on ABC.
Gooding plays Dwayne Johnson (D.J.), a counselor at a women’s correctional center whose expertise involves helping these young people redeem their self-respect as they serve others, specifically by encouraging them to join an elite team that fights forest fires and assists victims of natural disasters.
Two of the main characters who have made mistakes, but are working on regaining their self-esteem and their way back into society are Caroline (Q’orianka Kilcher), an introverted newcomer to the correctional center, and Terry (DeWanda Wise), who has become leader of the women’s firefighting crew, is respected by her fellow inmates, and has more than one reason to be motivated to better herself and gain parole from the prison.
The director of “Firelight,” Darnell Martin, helmed the previous outstanding Hallmark Hall of Fame movie “The Lost Valentine” and continues her solid work.
Kilcher, who portrayed Pocahontas in Terrence Malick’s “The New World” and Wise, who appeared in “Precious: Based on the Novel by Sapphire” are exceptional in their roles in this film, and, along with Gooding, also help to make this story of redemption ring true without being heavy-handed.
- To enter the “Firelight” Sweepstakes for your chance to win the grand prize of a “Firelight” collector’s edition DVD, “Firelight” autographed poster and a “Firelight” cast/crew t-shirt, click here.
– Melissa Hayer
Follow me on Twitter: @MelissaHayer
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 402At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 378Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 347How to help tornado victims
- 247Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 147Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 93Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes
- 52Social media used to send prayers and condolences to Oklahoma in wake of deadly tornadoes
- 51Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 35High schools: Practices called off long before tornado hit Moore
- 32Expert rips Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation's handling of murder case
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients