“The Powerbroker: Whitney Young’s Fight for Civil Rights” airs Feb. 18 on PBS
The PBS documentary series “Independent Lens” is scheduled to feature “The Powerbroker: Whitney Young’s Fight for Civil Rights,” narrated by Tulsa native Alfre Woodard and premiering at 9 p.m. Monday, Feb. 18 (check local listings).
Interviews with Howard Zinn, Donald Rumsfeld, Dorothy Height, Ossie Davis, Julian Bond, Vernon Jordan, John Lewis, Kenneth Chenault and more are included in the film.
Details on “The Powerbroker: Whitney Young’s Fight for Civil Rights,” provided by PBS, are as follows:
Civil rights leader Whitney Young, Jr. has no national holiday bearing his name. You won’t find him in most history books. In fact, few today know his name, much less his accomplishments. But he was at the heart of the civil rights movement — an inside man who broke down the barriers that held back African Americans.
Young shook the right hands, made the right deals, and opened the doors of opportunity that had been locked tight through the centuries. Unique among black leaders, the one-time executive director of the National Urban League took the fight directly to the powerful white elite, gaining allies in business and government. In the Oval Office, Young advised presidents Kennedy, Johnson, and Nixon, and guided each along a path toward historic change.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 19121Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6569Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6311OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5835Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4411Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4396Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3956Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 3349Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 3325Four burning questions - Was the Thunder's season a failure?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients