“Perception” is intriguing new series
TNT has a new take on the crime-solving genre premiering at 9 p.m., Monday, July 9.
“Perception” stars Emmy Award winner Eric McCormack as Dr. Daniel Pierce, an eccentric but brilliant neuroscience professor with paranoid schizophrenia who is recruited by former student Kate Moretti (Rachael Leigh Cook) to consult on certain cases she’s investigating as an FBI agent.
Daniel’s expertise on human behavior and his extraordinary ability to see patterns and solve puzzles makes him ideal to assist Kate in her work.
However, Daniel battles with hallucinations and paranoid delusions relating to his schizophrenia, but in an interesting twist on the crime-solving genre, these hallucinations sometimes actually help him to make connections that his conscious mind can’t yet put together and aid him in solving crimes with Kate.
They also can cause him to act in irrational, potentially dangerous ways, but fortunately Daniel has teaching assistant Max Lewicki (Arjay Smith) keeping an eye on him.
McCormack is excellent in this role, and it’s engaging to watch this lead character who has a mental illness tackling every day life and making the most out of his strengths.
Cook’s performance is sufficient as Kate, and the relationship between these two is charming – and, yes, there is a bit of a romantic spark there.
LeVar Burton also plays a recurring role in the series as Paul Haley, Daniel’s friend and a dean at the university where Daniel works.
Overall, “Perception” is an entertaining show that I highly recommend.
♦♦♦♦♦♦ Watch for my feature story on Eric McCormack and “Perception” in The Oklahoman and online on Monday, July 9.
– Melissa Hayer
Follow me on Twitter: @MelissaHayer
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 27859Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15705Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10472Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9908Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9405Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8491Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8399Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7581Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 7449Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6635UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients