Lea Thompson enjoys show’s fan base
(This story was published Sept. 10, 2012 in the Life section of The Oklahoman.)
Actress Lea Thompson has played mom roles throughout her career, and she continues to embrace that type of character in “Switched at Birth.”
Minnesota-born Thompson, 51, has past credits that include lead roles in the “Back to the Future” film series, the “Jane Doe” Hallmark Channel television movies and the “Caroline in the City” sitcom.
“Switched at Birth,” which airs at 7 p.m. Mondays on ABC Family, and also stars D.W. Moffett and Constance Marie, centers on the blended Kennish and Vasquez families.
Teen daughters Bay Kennish (Vanessa Marano) and Daphne Vasquez (Katie Leclerc) were accidentally swapped after they were born in the hospital. Also, Daphne became deaf after contracting meningitis as a small child. Now, the two families are trying to learn how to live together for the best interest of the girls.
Thompson recently discussed playing mom Kathryn Kennish on “Switched at Birth” during a media conference call and included how she enjoys the expanded fan base she’s acquired from the show.
“It’s been really exciting connecting with a different demographic … The network’s targeted toward teenage girls and their mothers, but there’s also men that really like to watch the show with their families,” she said.
“I think teenage years for girls are so complicated and so hard to navigate, and I feel really proud to be part of a program that in some way helps young women have a voice and deal with issues and think about things in a productive way.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 87014Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 81959Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 34908Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 32757Oklahoma sucker-punched by second round of twisters
- 16053Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 13176Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 10447Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 8973Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
- 8697Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 7832Fatal fire: Two arrested in Oklahoma City death of 7-year-old boy
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients