Enid golfer Scott Phillips was released from the hospital Wednesday, two days after being bitten by a copperhead snake during a golf tournament.
Phillips was bitten twice on the calf during the second round of the Class 6A east regional tournament Monday at Emerald Falls in Broken Arrow.
“When it bit him the second time, he looked down and it was still on his leg, so he yanked it off and threw it,” Enid athletic coordinator Steve Chard said. “He didn’t show any of the usual symptoms until late that night. He got pretty sick and his leg was red and swollen, so they gave him two or three doses of anti-venom.”
Multiple bites from a copperhead at one time can be extremely dangerous, though generally not fatal. Chard said Phillips was significantly improved when he got out of the hospital Wednesday.
Several players and coaches, including those from Bixby, Jenks and other schools, called or visited Phillips in the hospital.
Minimum stock purchase is only $10. Pay $0 fees. Start today.