Free weight loss classes offered
The Oklahoma City-County Health Department is offering free Total Wellness classes that will help people improve their eating and exercise habits. Classes will meet for one hour each week for 12 weeks. Participants will be encouraged to set goals of losing 5 percent of their body weight and becoming more active. The program teaches the basics of good nutrition, the importance of physical activity and the key steps for successful weight control. Space is limited, and classes are filling up fast. Anyone interested can call 425-4308 or email Total_Wellness@occhd.org. There are multiple class locations and start dates: 1:30 p.m. Tuesday at Southern Oaks Library, 6900 S Walker Ave.; 10 a.m. Wednesday at The Village Library, 10307 N Pennsylvania; 9:30 a.m. Thursday at Midwest City Library, 8143 E Reno; 9:30 a.m. May 14 at Metro Technology Centers Business Conference Center, 1900 Springlake Drive; and 5 p.m. May 16 at Ralph Ellison Library, 2000 NE 23.
Free shots offered for kids
The Oklahoma Caring Vans will hold immunization clinics for children 6 weeks through 18 years old at several Oklahoma City locations. Immunizations are given on a first come, first served basis. For each child immunized, a parent or guardian must be present and provide records of previous immunizations and complete paperwork. The Caring Van will provide immunizations at no charge at the following locations:
• 9 a.m. to noon Monday, Neighborhood Services Organization WIC-NW, 5818 NW 50, Ste. 400.
• 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday, WCD WIC OKC, 7001 S Western.
• 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. May 15, NSO WIC-West, 1139 N Meridian.
• 8:30 a.m. to noon May 16, Latino Community Development Agency, 420 SW 10.
• 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. May 16, Spencer Elementary, 8900 NE 50.
• 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. May 21, WCD WIC-El Reno, 1623 E Highway 66.