If No. 1 Memphis and No. 2 Kansas continue to take care of business, they’ll meet April 7 for the national title in San Antonio.
And even if the two teams get derailed along the way, Memphis coach John Calipari said he would like to schedule a regular-season game against the Jayhawks.
Calipari served as an assistant coach at KU for Ted Owens and Larry Brown in the early 1980s, and hopes the Tigers and Jayhawks continue their unbeaten ways this year.
“The only time I’m not going to root for Kansas this year is if it’s April 7 and we’re playing them,” Calipari said after Wednesday night’s 56-41 victory at Tulsa.
As for scheduling KU in the future, Calipari has often stacked his non-conference schedule with hefty opponents and said it’s not because his Tigers are members of Conference USA, which is perceived as weak.
“It all depends on what you’re trying to do. If you want to be the champion, you can’t fight in the undercard. You’ve got to take on all comers,” Calipari said. “Now will those teams play you on your home court? No, they’re not going to. So you’ve got to get in neutral events where you’re going to play those opponents.
“When I was at UMass we played Kentucky, we played Arkansas and we played
North Carolina; No. 1 ranked teams in the country all on neutral sites. And we won those games, but they were all on neutral sites. You’re never going to get those opponents at home, so you’ve got to risk it.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 35920Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15377Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9806Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9680Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7926Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7748Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7269Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 6212Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6004UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients