First-half, first-game observations
Oklahoma State leads Washington State 15-0 at halftime in Seattle. Some early thoughts:
- Between receiving, kick returns and (hopefully) some occasional rushing attempts, OSU sophomore receiver Dez Bryant needs to touch the ball 15-20 times a game. This won’t be Bryant’s last game on Qwest Field. He’ll play here on Sundays sometime after his junior season.
- Mike Gundy’s first half of play-calling was so-so at best (22 rushes; 18 passes). He’s done a lousy job utilizing All-American tight end candidate Brandon Pettigrew, who has four catches for 21 yards. Pettigrew has been used only for dink passes. Send the kid downfield.
- Kendall Hunter looks terrific (63 yards on 14 carries). OSU’s reputation as Tailback U. is in good hands.
- You’d think a game between two no-huddle teams would have some rhythm do it, a fast-pace feel. Not this game.
- After a safety, a team can either punt or kick off from its own 20-yard line. WSU opted to kickoff. I can’t remember the last time I saw a team not punt after a safety. The reason was obvious. Punter Daniel Wagner punts like Dave Winfield used to hit — nothing but line drives.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 13515Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10081Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9722Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8902Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6661Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5295Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 4515Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 4167Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4139Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients