Trying to determine who's best
We knew the Big 12 South is the best division in the history of college football. Granted, divisional play has a pretty small window in BCS conferences, only going back to 1992 in the expanded SEC, the formation of the Big 12 in 1996 and to 2005 in the ACC.
Researching other divisional conferences was simple enough. Researching all conferences throughout time was a much bigger task.
Then all these questions started popping up: What are the fairest parameters to use to determine the strength of a conference? Are the final rankings the best way, bowl results, schedule strength, the top teams only, the league as a whole? And where does all this evaluating stop?
What about trying to compare college football to divisions in other sports, then coming up with an overall power ranking? Can it be done? Should it be done?
Do divisions add to a league’s strength, or do they fracture it? Are divisional races better when only the champion advances to postseason play, or when there are multiple playoff spots up for grabs?
As you can tell, there were a bunch of questions without a bunch of specific answers. The end result of this divisional quest can be found in the center of Monday’s sports section in The Oklahoman.
Feel free to share your thoughts to any of the aforementioned questions, or let me know how you feel about the results. What was right? What was wrong? Who is missing? Who doesn’t belong?
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients