Hornets boom; Sonics bust
As I type this, our former Hornets are 4-1 and our future SuperSonics are 0-5. Hey, when it comes to inheriting an NBA franchise, timing is everything.
The Hornets will be a playoff contender this season. They’ve got a young foundation in point guard Chris Paul (who leads the league in assists at 12.4), center Tyson Chandler and forward David West. Guard Peja Stojakovic’s back seems strong, Bobby Jackson still gives a lift off the bench, and they’ve added new blood in guard Morris Peterson.
The Sonics, meanwhile, have rookie sensation Kevin Durant, fellow rookie Jeff Green, freshly signed forward Chris Wilcox, swingman Damien Wilkens and, um, let’s just say they’re a work in progress — unlike Clay Bennett’s new arena proposal.
The Sonics almost certainly will miss the playoffs for the fifth time in the last six years, and could end up with more ping-pong ball lottery combinations than any other franchise.
I love that the Hornets are doing well, albeit in front of small crowds. The Hornets rank last in the league in attendance (12,502) and the Sonics are third from the bottom (13,916).
I say we host a best-of-seven series between the Hornets and Sonics next June in the Ford Center to see which team relocates to Oklahoma City.
Quick, get David Stern on the line.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11867Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11199Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7813Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7743Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4737Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4255OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3606Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 3568Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3561Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3556How to help tornado victims
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients