Reuben proves highly Remarkable
Here are a few emails I’ve received today about Reubens, ranging fom suggestions to the true history…
You should check out the reuben at Don’s Alley in MWC on 29th St. Even comes with great homemade fries.
In all my worldly travels I’ve never met a more delectable reuben sandwich than the one @ The Lunch Box 413 W.Sheridan in downtown OKC – Ed Strawn; the proprietor ,makes a mouth-watering double-fister that causes all others to pale in comparision – this is the grinder I take all my out-of-town friends to experience – the kosher corned beef oughtta be enshrined somewhere !!!
your faithful reader;
Mr Cathey, enjoyed your article on reuben sandwisches, however, in your listing of places to get a reuben you neglected to cite Jason’s deli on 33rd street, Edmonf. It is the best reuben I have ever eaten, and believe me, I have eaten a reuben in many differnt resturnats and have not found one better than the one served at Jasons.
I had my first Reuben sandwich back during the first couple of years of my marriage. My wife made me try it (I was the typical I-want-a-burger kind of guy). It was at a little hole-in-the-wall cafe in Enid called Fat & Skinnies. I remember it because we laughed about the name. I was 6’4″ at the time and weighed all of 170 pounds – and she was nine months pregnant – the name seemed to fit us.
The sandwich, however, was great – I just don’t know where to find a good one in OKC.
Dave, read your article concerning the Reuben Sandwich with great interest as it has a special meaning to me. I am attaching 2 documents concerning the origination of the Reuben Sandwich.
The first is an article concerning the actual history of said sandwich which was published in 1977 in the Wichita (Kan) Eagle concerning the TRUE story of the REUBEN SANDWICH. The article shows a picture of my father Walter Schimmel, son of the originator of the REUBEN SANDWICH, my grandfather Charles Schimmel who was owner and operator of the Blackstone Hotel in Omaha NE.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 13061Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11652Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5853Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5268Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4547OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4352Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4093Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4013How to help tornado victims
- 3642Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3374Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients