My name is Dave Cathey, and I’m a Flatire Burgers addict. There, I got that out of the way: total transparency, full disclosure.
I will try to keep the platitudes to a minimum, my enthusiasm at bay. But the truth is two great things happened the first time I ever ate at Flatire: I found one of the top 5 burger joints in Oklahoma City, and I had a great lunch with a pretty girl. The burger was juicy, flavorful and landed Flatire on my monthly rotation. The girl was blonde with blue eyes, and she was gracious enough to agree to marry me.
But Flatire Burgers, 318 E Ayers St., is much more than just a sentimental landmark. This is a 2.0 burger joint. It starts with thick, juicy burgers. Or does it? You may also choose a chicken breast, tilapia or what my wife calls the best house-made veggie patty in the city.
Variety isn’t limited to the protein source. They offer three bun choices: white, wheat or jalapeno. Cheese comes in American, Swiss, pepper jack, blue and cheddar. Then there are 15 specialty burgers, ranging from spicy to tropical. The burly red-necked chili burger master can sit in harmony next to the white T-shirted, green-scheming waif recently detached from a warm embrace with a Weeping Willow. This is equal opportunity engorging.
Great burgers aside, it took me a good five trips to realize just what a good restaurant Flatire Burgers is. That was on the fateful day when, I’m embarrassed to report, I chose a side that was neither French fries or onion rings. That’s right, I had black beans with my burger one day. I know, I know, but every now and then I try to avoid shaving time off my life by ordering something not deep fried. It so happens I love black beans. What surprised me was how good the black beans tasted. I’ve since tried the slaw, which was also better than average. And Lori and I rarely go without ordering fried pickles.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14417OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 14044Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 8989Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 7004Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5982Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5451Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5357Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 4703Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 4345Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 4109'Hatchet hitchhiker' arrested after attorney found dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients