Signs of the Snowpalypse
Snowpacalypse 2013 is upon us, and I was asked to venture out to see what local grocers might have earmarked as “emergency foods.” Turns out, I actually made the mistake of overlooking the oncoming snowpacalypse predictions before doing our weekly grocery shopping on Sunday. I was treated to crowded aisles, empty shelves and fevered shoppers. Reaching for a package of 80-20 ground chuck, I was crossed on both sides by women boxing me out for fear I was interested in impeding on the ground round and 90-10 extra lean in their sights. How little those two know my name. Ground round was my mother’s grind, and 90-10 is strictly prohibited in Castle Cathey. Teetering on the brink of claustrophobic meltdown, I retreated to the safety of the frozen foods section. Few were cleaning out the freezer, perhaps for fear that power outages were in the forecast.
On Monday, I made it out to two different Walmart stores, hunting the elusive “emergency foods” we hypothesized might exist. While I didn’t find that designation, I did run into some folks stuffing carts, ignoring 20-item limits at cashiers and a lot of empty bread shelves.
On the upside, I did find a new product I couldn’t survive without trying. East Coast snack-cakery Tasteekakes has released Kandy Bar Kakes with a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup interpretation. They had me at spelling cake with a K, but Reese’s just added pace and anticipation to the trip from the snack aisle to the cash register.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12604Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10239Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9732Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6670Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4472Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4240Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 4180Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 3744Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 3718Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients