Sunflower to Become Sprouts
Sprouts Farmers Market, one of the country’s leading natural foods grocers, and Sunflower Farmers Market, an independent chain of 37 natural foods stores, announced today the closing of the merger of the two companies. The combined company currently operates 144 stores, with six more scheduled to open this year, and employs approximately 11,000 people.
The addition of the Sunflower stores expands Sprouts’ geographic footprint to Nevada, Utah, New Mexico and Oklahoma and further extends its presence in the states of California, Arizona, Colorado and Texas. All of the Sunflower stores will be re-branded under the Sprouts banner. The conversions will begin in July and occur in phases through the end of the year. The stores will receive new interior and exterior signage, updated fixtures and an expanded merchandise mix.
Sprouts will remain headquartered in Phoenix, and Sunflower’s corporate headquarters in Phoenix and Boulder will be consolidated into the Sprouts office.
Sprouts traces its lineage back to Henry Boney, a San Diego entrepreneur who opened his first business, a fruit stand at the corner of 71st and El Cajon Boulevard near La Mesa, California in 1943. Over the years, he and his family started and sold many retail businesses, including Speedee Mart, Boney’s and Windmill Farms.
The second generation of Boney’s stores were opened in 1969 by Henry’s sons, Stan, Steve, and later Scott. The name was changed to Henry’s Marketplace in 1997. The Boney family ran Henry’s until 1999, when the stores were sold to Wild Oats Markets, Inc., which later sold them again.
Henry’s son, Stan, and his grandson, Shon, along with family friends Kevin Easler and Scott Wing, returned to the natural foods business in 2002 when they opened the first Sprouts Farmers Market store in Chandler, Arizona. Sprouts grew rapidly, and just last year reunited with Henry’s in a merger sponsored by Apollo Management, L.P., which is now the majority owner of Sprouts.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 20726Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16618Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 11933Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 11447Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 10097Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9885OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9809Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 5447Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense
- 5142Will a MAPS 4 initiative involve a football stadium downtown?
- 5023Student shot dead during botched home invasion
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients