Hickory House sweet slaw
Edmond teacher LuAnn Tucker, Rick Bayless’ sister, prefers this mayonnaise-enhanced slaw, another Hickory House specialty, to the tangy “sour” version.
½ medium head green cabbage, cored and very thinly sliced (about 8 cups)
1 2-ounce bottle chopped pimentos, drained, or 1 small red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4” pieces
3 ribs celery, cut into 1/4” dice
¾ cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon sugar
Put cabbage, pimentos, celery, mayonnaise, sugar and 1 teaspoon salt into a large bowl and toss well. Adjust seasonings with more salt, if you like. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve. The flavor and texture are best when slaw is made an hour or two before serving.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 62337Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 33106Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 31955Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 14420Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 8241Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6093Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4001Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
- 3741Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond
- 3534Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 3461Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients