Rick Bayless' deviled eggs recipe
Adding mashed potato to the filling of this traditional hors d’oeuvre helps bind it.
1 medium red-skin boiling potato, peeled and cut into 8 pieces
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
2 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
Put eggs and potatoes into a medium pot and add enough cold water to cover them by 1 inch. Add salt and simmer over medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes. Reduce heat to medium to medium-low and gently simmer for 9 minutes more.
Pour off water from pot. Transfer potatoes with a slotted spoon to a medium bowl, then put pot of eggs under cold running water to let cool for 3 minutes. Meanwhile, add relish, mayonnaise, and mustard to potatoes, thoroughly mash together with a fork, and set aside.
Peel and cut eggs in half lengthwise. Using a fork or spoon, carefully scoop out yolks, add them to the potato mixture, and mash together with a fork. Spoon filling onto hard-cooked whites, mounding filling slightly and covering whole cut side of egg. Garnish with chopped chives and/or bachelor’s button (which are edible), if you like.
Source: Rick Bayless.
Cook’s note: With no chives or bachelor’s button on hand, Italian parsley worked well for the garnish.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 81708Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16515OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12409Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 12217Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12064Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 10403Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 9163How to help tornado victims
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma tornado victims identified
- 8558Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8505Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients