Hickory House Baked Beans
Serves 4 to 6
½ large red or green bell pepper
2 15-ounce cans, drained or 3 to 3½ cups drained cooked pinto or navy beans
1 cup barbecue sauce
2 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon worcestershire
Preheat oven to 375 degree. Stem and seed bell pepper, cut into quarter-inch pieces, and put into a 2-quart or 8” x 8” baking dish. Add beans, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, and half cup water to dish and mix well.
Drizzle worcestershire sauce on top. Bake until top is glazed-looking and browned, the beans start to peek up from the liquid, and the liquid is bubbling vigorously around the edges, 45-60 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
Source: Rick Bayless.
Cook’s notes: I used a cast-iron skillet, which reduced the cook time to 35 minutes. I also used one can of pinto beans and one can of navy beans. My vegetarian wife loved the exclusion of bacon, and I didn’t miss it at all.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14862OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 11951Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 8347Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6661Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6166Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5685Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4422Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 4121Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 4098'Hatchet hitchhiker' arrested after attorney found dead
- 4034Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients