Foodie Film FEASTival: Scenes from a Kitchen
And so the first-ever and hopefully of many Foodie Film FEASTival begins Thursday at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art. Film curator Brian Hearn has a great line-up of films planned for us this year, starting with “El Bulli: Cooking in Progress,” then “Soul Kitchen,” and “The Trip.”
Check in with me Wednesday for more info about those films. Meanwhile, to mark the occasion, I will be dropping some of my favorite film scenes that center around food here on the blog.
I’ll start with a true classic. Ang Lee’s “Eat Drink Man Woman” is about a chef/restaurateur who cooks lunch for his daughters every Sunday. The film begins with those preparations. The scene is a balance of precision, poetry and terror as we watch this craftsman create art. Filmmaker Ang Lee uses this opening to lay the foundation of the film, which is a father’s love. We see the ferocity and devotion of this father’s love in one simple meal.
A remake called “Tortilla Soup,” starring Hector Elizondo, changes the family from Chinese to Hispanic and the opening intercuts the preparation with introductions to the daughters. That method stops the device cold. There is a music of the kitchen, and we need the whole song to best understand the founding character. On the other hand, I’d rather eat the food from “Tortilla Soup!”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 79546Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 30543Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 28179Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 26729Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7711Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 7142Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 7088Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond
- 7050Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday
- 6632Oklahoma storms: 2 Shawnee men victims of deadly tornado
- 6243Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients