Recipe: Chile rellenos
Summary: Mom’s favorite; Lori’s, too
- 4 poblano peppers
- 1 cup shredded colby jack cheese
- 1 plum tomato diced
- half a white onion diced
- 1 12 oz. Lone Star Beer
- 1 1/2 cups flour plus a 1/4 cup for dredging
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- Pinch salt
- Enough oil to fill cast-iron pan 2 inches.
- 1 pot ice water
- Mix flour, paprika, salt, chile.
- Add beer to make a thick batter. Let rest 1/2 hour.
- Combine cheese, tomato and onions
- Light grill and roast chiles over open flame until the skins blister on all sides.
- Plunge immediately in ice water.
- Peel away chile skins with a sharp knife.
- Cut a slit down the side, clean out the seeds and membrane.
- Stuff with cheese mixture.
- Heat oil to 375 degree.
- Stir batter and add more beer if too thick. Should be like a pancake batter texture.
- Dredge chiles in remaining flour so batter will stick.
- Plunge and roll in batter.
- Lower into hot oil holding until batter firms then let it float & fry until crisp and brown on all sides.
- Drain on paper towel and serve immediately.
Culinary tradition: Mexican
Recipe by on.
Microformatting by hRecipe.
Source: Dave Cathey with many thanks to master chef John Bennett for the wisdom on this latest batter incarnation.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 13135OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 7091Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6692Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 6620Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5959Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 5205Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5081Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 3987As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3816Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 3469OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients
Send me a copy of this email.