Countdown to Emeril: Friday's Recipes, Part I
Superstar chef Emeril Lagasse arrives in Oklahoma City Friday afternoon for a cooking demonstration followed by a book-signing at Dillard’s Penn Square Mall. The demo starts at 4 p.m. and will last 45 minutes.
To celebrate the appearance, I’ve been posting recipes. Today, I’ve got one of the two recipes he’ll be preparing on Friday.
Check back Thursday for the other.
ANDOUILLE-CRUSTED OYSTERS WITH SPINACH COULIS
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ pound andouille or kielbasa sausage, finely chopped (about ¾ cup)
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
- 1¼ cups dried fine bread crumbs
- 5 teaspoons Emeril’s Original Essence
- 1 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 32 shucked oysters, drained well
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 recipe Spinach Coulis*
- Heat the olive oil in a 10-inch sauté pan over high heat. Add the sausage and brown it, cooking 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and shallots and cook, stirring, until slightly soft, about 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for about 5 minutes.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the sausage with the breadcrumbs and 2 teaspoons of the Essence.
- Mix well.
- In another small bowl, blend the egg, half-and-half, and the remaining teaspoon of Essence.
- Dredge the oysters in the flour, coating evenly and tapping off any excess. Dip the oysters in the egg mixture, then dredge them in the bread crumb-and-sausage mixture, coating evenly.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot but not smoking, lay about half of the oysters in the skillet.
- Pan-fry until browned, about 2 minutes, then turn them over and fry another 2 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Repeat the frying process with the remaining oysters.
- To serve, spread ¼ cup of the spinach coulis in the center of each of eight dinner plates and place four oysters on top of the coulis.
- Serve immediately.
Yield: 8 servings
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 42155Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15090Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9670Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8506Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8490Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7696Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 7550Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 6946Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6921Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 5498Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients